Thursday, February 12, 2009

You Say Goodbye, I Say Hello


I caught a cold. First one in years. Perhaps that's on account of my being away from people now more than ever as I work on my books and my recent bee-keeping foray brought me into close contact with some nasties. I don't know. I just know that I don't take getting sick sitting down and, packed with an herbal arsenal, hot baths, and loads of tea, I'm beginning to feel back up to snuff. 

On a brighter note, we sold the two 20'x50' hoophouses nearest the house yesterday. A young, enthusiastic farmer from South Carolina will be coming this weekend to disassemble and haul them off. I'm so excited about that because they have been sitting dormant since Glenn purchased the property 4 years ago. The previous owners ran an edible organic herb and flower farm out of here. They're in great shape, but are much too large for our needs, which is simply a small space for some veggie starts. We're thinking of going for something like this or this as a replacement. After the hoophouses come down, I'll till up the soil, put in some raised beds, and get busy with a large veg plot. Spring can't come quickly enough!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get well soon.

Sarah Ryhanen said...

get better with that ginger brew you make. add garlic!

Anonymous said...

how great that you were able to find someone to take the old greenhouses off your hands.

i'm quite fond of the new options you're considering. they're beautiful in their own way and a much more reasonable size for your needs. will you be placing it in the same spot where the old ones were, or will it go closer to your house?

ashley english said...

Nicole, the new greenhouse will be sited in the same general area as the old houses. As it will be considerably smaller, I'll be able to tuck it away in the corner.