Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cooling Off Period


I love to can. Really. I even wrote a book about it, so, there's legitimate proof as to my fondness for the technique. Like any intense relationship, though, sometimes things get a bit overheated and a cooling off period is necessary. It just happens. 

I live in the southeastern U.S.. It's August. My house has no A.C.. The south is known for its humidity. Accordingly, my canner and I took a break this week. We forged other alliances, tried out new things. Confident in the unshakable certainty of our relationship, we enjoyed other activities, knowing we'd merge again soon, when the cloud of hot, heavy, nasty air moved on and we could breathe around each other more easily once again. It's a short-lived break, but a necessary one, for both of us. 

What did I discover during my canning time out? One word-gazpacho. I love the sound of it, gaz-PAH-cho. Like a confident, saucy Lady, perched languidly on a bar stool, dressed in a red dress and 4 inch heels, sipping sangria. Were gazpacho human, it would no doubt look just so. 

My garden is busting out, pouring forth a scandalous display of veggie booty. It's finally high season in the soil-the tomatoes are turning red (and gold!), cucumber vines are running all over each other, the zucchini is putting out fruit faster than I can harvest it. Peppers, herbs, yellow and winter squash, pumpkins, japanese eggplant-it's a wild, happy mess out there. 

Since I'm seeking comfort elsewhere this week (see above), gazpacho seemed like the perfect solution for using up all this veggie madness in an efficient and delectable (and time sensitive) manner. Blessed as I am with a husband whose inner Julia Child knows no limits, we feasted last night on the best gazpacho ever to pass my lips. THE. BEST. GAZPACHO. EVER. Perfect in all the right ways. Full of flavor, texture, heat, acid, zip, and twang. Groan-worthy, in fact. 

Should you find yourself with veggies all up in your business and a need for a canning time-out, whip this up. You'll be glad you did, and your relationship (with your canner, that is) will be all the better for it. 

Bar-setting Gazpacho
*Thanks to the incomparable chef G. for this, who serves me heaven on a plate every night folks. Every. Night. 

The Goods
-Chopped tomatoes (enough to fill 2/3 of the food processor)
-1/2 jar (12 oz) Bionature strained tomatoes or tomato juice
-3 cloves garlic (minced)
-1/2 sweet onion (diced)
-2 stalks celery (diced)
-1 carrot (diced)
-1/2 yellow, orange. or red pepper (diced) 
-1 medium cucumber (diced)
-1/3rd cup olive oil
-Chipotle Tobasco (best) or hot sauce to taste
-1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
-2 Tbsp. lime juice
-1 Tbsp.  white wine vinegar
-1 pinch dried thyme
-1 pinch toasted (in a dry pan for a minute) ground cumin
-A couple pinches of salt
-A little ground pepper
-A couple pinches of chopped fresh herbs (such as marjoram, basil, cilantro, parsley, or whatever you like), optional

The Deal: 
-Heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, pepper, carrot, and celery. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, then turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Cook for two more minutes, then add tomato juice and stir. Turn heat back up to medium, then cook 4 more minutes. Set aside. 
-Pulse tomatoes a couple of times in food processor till chunky. Spoon out tomato mixture into a large mixing bowl, till food processor is left only half full. 
-Add tomato juice/veggie/and oil mixture to food processor. Add chipotle sauce, salt, ground pepper, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, vinegar, and fresh herbs (if using). 
-Pulse a few times till blended, but still a little chunky.
-Add to bowl containing reserved tomato puree.
-Add diced cucumber, and stir. 
-If possible, chill for 20-30 minutes.
-Enjoy.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Mmmmm heaven on a plate...

nicole said...

Oh, swoon! Gazpacho is one of the things that sets my heart racing and my mouth salivating this time of year. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Perhaps this is another way I can sneak tomatoes to my spouse.

So if you're in that stage of needing to take a little a break from your canner, does that mean I am in the blossoming first stages of the romance when we just can't get enough of each other? Perhaps I should pace my canning love as well, so the fire doesn't burn out too quickly. But the jams, the pickles, the relish!

Jessie K said...

Ashley, last week I succumbed to a serious case of canning fatigue. And yet (and i never thought I'd say this), THE HARVEST NEVER WAITS. It's like working with livestock. It doesn't matter if you tire of it, you still have to do SOMETHING with all that awesome food bursting out of the garden. This weekend I took a break from canning and instead dehydrated 30 pounds of peaches in my ole dehydrator. It wasn't as "easy" as gazpacho, since I still had to peel and acidify all the fruit, but...what a pleasant snack it shall make come November.

I feel your pain!

marshall p said...

yum this sounds so good! thanks for the recipe...

mbtscribe said...

I'm "relishing" your writing as well as the gazpacho. Thanks for the sensory inspiration and the smile on my face.

Bonner said...

Does anyone happen to know what Gazpacho actually means? (I'm assuming it's German?) Makes me think of Gestapo, but not nearly as menacing.

Ashley, I wanted to tell you how beautiful and informative I am finding your Design Sponge blog. And all the comments! What important and inspiring conversations. Congrats and keep the small measures coming!