Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snowed-in Breakfast

I started getting accustomed to long stints of being snowed-in last winter. After that first snow dump last December, we were stuck out here, sans power, for five days. As a full-time, home-based writer, staying at home is really par for the course. And so, now that winter is upon us and snow has blocked access down the one-mile dirt road to our home, we're sequestered out here once again.

I have to admit, though, that with my two guys to chat and cuddle with, a roaring wood stove, cozy pajamas for wearing to the "office" (my kitchen table) and a well-stocked pantry and fridge, I give being snowed-in two thumbs up. It's truly a glorious winter wonderland outside and there's nowhere I'd rather be.

Having a robust breakfast, cooked with love by Hubs, definitely makes the whole situation that much more enjoyable. The above plate of bliss is absolutely scrumptious. We used cheddar biscuits for the "foundation", but, lacking those, you could just as easily use toast as your vehicle (I suggest rye). Hubs has provided the recipe for this delicious repast.

Snowed-in or not, I suggest you give it a go yourself. The cheese sauce alone makes it completely worth the effort.

Snowed-in Breakfast
You will need:
-2 Biscuits
-4 poached eggs (this recipe was actually featured on Food News Journal's "Best of the Blogs")
-Collard greens with turkey sausage (recipe follows)
-Cheese sauce (recipe follows)

Collard greens with turkey sausage:
You will need:
-1/4 lb turkey sausage
-1 bunch collards, stemmed and chopped
-1 cup chicken stock
-Pinch of salt and a few grinds pepper
-1 Tbsp. butter

To prepare:
1) Cook the turkey sausage in butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2) Add the collards to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring several times.
3) Add the chicken stock and salt and pepper.
4) Cook for about 15 minutes till the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.

Cheese sauce:
You will need:
-4 ounces grated sharp cheddar
-4 ounces milk
-1 Tbsp. butter
-1 Tbsp. flour
-1 Tbsp. coarse prepared mustard
-A couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce
-1/4 tsp nutmeg (fresh ground preferable)

To prepare:
1) Melt the butter in a pan over medium-low heat.
2) Stir in flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3) Slowly add the milk, stirring in a bit at a time till incorporated.
4) Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
5) Continue to stir till smooth.

For full assembly:
1) Cut biscuits in half. Toast if necessary.
2) For each plate, spoon a little of the cheese sauce over the biscuit halves.
3) Next, evenly spoon the collard green mixture over the biscuit halves.
4) Spoon a little more of the cheese sauce on top of the collards.
5) Place the poached eggs on top of collards, and top with the rest of the cheese sauce.
6) Grind a little pepper on top if desired.
7) Serve and enjoy.

8 comments:

Anna said...

I think a cozy, snowy day is something to be relished, especially in these modern times when we are used to being able to go wherever we want and get whatever we need.

Heather said...

Agreed- now if only my boss felt the same way ;)

Julie said...

That looks so yummy! I quite enjoy being snowed in. Always gives warm, cozy feelings.

Melanie J. said...

This post has me so jealous I can't see straight (that's a good thing; it's motivating!). As I shape my life to reflect my dreams, I'm buoyed by posts like these. And holy cow, does that breakfast look good!

jenny said...

Oh, that's sounds yummy. Thanks for the recipe, Ashley. We have almost 2 feet of snow here in Madison County. How much do you have down there? Warm wishes.

Ashley English said...

Jenny-We only ended up with 6-8 inches. A good bit of it has begun to melt already, which is just as well considering I haven't left the property since this past Friday and would really like to make it to a friend's birthday party this coming Friday!

Vicky said...

Delicious! I too love being snowed in - even when we're working. See attached blog from our snowy mountain winter wonderland in the Scottish highlands. We spent just over a month living (and cooking) in the heart of the mountains...and time off by a roaring log fire with a wee glass of whisky was the ultimate in simple pleasures :)

Julia Wright said...

I just stumbled onto your blog, and I must say this looks delicious. I can't wait to try out the recipe. I'll have to substitute spinach for the greens because that's what we have. I'm excited just the same. Now I'm looking forward to reading your previous posts.