Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sunday In the Cove

Taking it nice and easy today. Huxley is snoring away in his swing beside me (perhaps dreaming of these for his birthday in less than two weeks; I can hardly believe almost a year has gone by). It's overcast outside. The dogs are barking at a hound in the woods and sitting, lazily, instead of running up the mountain to greet it.

I taught two canning demonstrations at yesterday's True Nature Country Fair. The weather was stellar and Huxley was a champ, playing with Hubs while I boiled and toiled over the water bath. It's always a treat to get out and mix and mingle with similarly minded folks. Renee was so sweet as to show up with several fig trees in tow, which I can't wait to get into the ground (lord knows I love figs-check out these babies, which I could definitely do up myself if I had a bumper crop of figs on hand). 

Thursday I popped over to Jen's house. We sipped coffee, chatted publishers and generally whiled away the morning while she whipped up an expert batch of challah as our littlest littles played. She, blessed bestower of all things lovely that she is, sent me home with a plump, golden loaf, which I rendered into an Apple, Raisin & Bourbon Bread Pudding (oh! my!) on Friday.

I'm in the throes of planning Huxley's birthday party. The date is the 29th and the theme is "Wild Things", on account of his middle name and general disposition. I think I've settled on a costume for him (let's just say he'll "bee" very cute) and am now plotting food, cake, decor and takeaway treats. Yes, I know it's only his 1st birthday. Of course he won't remember it. But I will. I am smitten and in love beyond words with this little guy and want to celebrate him at full throttle, on his big day, and everyday.

Wherever you are, whatever you're up to, I wish you a joyous, lazy Sunday and a bang-up week ahead.

OH-and do stop by tomorrow. I'll be giving away a copy of my buddy Jodi's enticing new book Cake Ladies: A Southern Tradition

*BTW, if you click on the images I post here, they get bigger-much, much bigger. You knew this, right?






3 comments:

Elaine said...

Loving your photos and those chocolate stuffed/covered figs . . . oh my!!! We planted a fig tree last summer, they grow so fast and this year we actually have some figs. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Loved the fair on Saturday and I love your book! Keep up the good work!

Grateful Grandma said...

What stunning photos. Thank you!