Friday, December 30, 2011

What I'm Digging

Happy Friday, friends! I'm still battling my head cold, 'tho I think it's finally giving up the ghost. Thank you so very much for sharing all of your go-to cold-fighting tips!

Here's a smattering of things that got me jazzed up, amped up, and otherwise intrigued this past week: 
*This British documentary film about sustainable farming for the future is so captivating. 
*Stingless honeybees considered sacred in Mayan culture are in danger of extinction.
*Gastronomista is as beautiful to behold as it is enjoyable (and informative) to read.
*This honey harvest video from Kinfolk is just beautiful.
*Loving these "25 best songs of 2011 you might have missed."
*Crushing hard on Foodiecrush, an online food magazine and blog.
*Southern cuisine is more than just shrimp & grits and Cracker Barrel.
*Meg lists her top 10 reasons to become an urban beekeeper.
*Jenna's argument in favor of dogs both inspires and incites her readers (we're big dog lovers, chez English).
*My beloved friends Jael and Dan Rattigan had solar panels installed on the roof of their French Broad Chocolate Lounge yesterday!!!

Our dear friends Jen and Jon and their sweet little girl, Awynn, are visiting from Atlanta. They're staying in a cabin out at Lake Eden (the site of their wedding 10 years ago!) and we're planning some sort of rendezvous with them, and a host of other long-time buddies, out there on New Year's Day. Hoppin' John, collards and cornbread will undoubtedly make appearances, considering we're Southeners and all....

Wherever you go this weekend, however you celebrate, whomever you get festive with, may it be safe, healthy and grand. Happy New Year, small measure-ers!!! Thank you SO much for all of your love in 2011!!!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing my link, Ashley! I just watched that Kinfolk video and I got a little misty! I miss my bees! Come on Spring!

jen said...

Happy New Year Ashley!

Unknown said...

I loved the stingless bee article. I could wander through detailed reads of Mayan culture forever, and this one was even more enjoyable because of the bee angle. Thanks for posting it!

mandi said...

Wow- so much good stuff here! Thanks for sharing! After a few years of only *wishing* for bees, we are finally getting some- so all of this bee related stuff really made me happy!
And thanks for the input on the pressure cooker!

EcoGrrl said...

another great post! btw jenna's link doesn't exist when i click on it...happy new year!

Heidi @foodiecrush said...

Hi there! Thanks for crushing on us. You're pretty cute too! XOXO