Friday, February 10, 2012

What I'm Digging

Happy Friday, friends! I just wrapped up teaching my "Backyard Chickens" class at the local community college. I can't begin to tell you how much I've come to love doing that class (I think this was the 8th time I've taught it there!!!). The life of a mile-down-a-dirt-road-stay-at-home-writer/mama can sometimes be a lonesome one, in terms of socializing. Rubbing elbows with the locals is therefore rewarding, on so very many levels. 

Here's a round-up of some things that inspired and intrigued me this week: 
*Maria's 38th birthday was all about others. What a cool lady.
*Honey heals everything!
*And so does happiness!
*The perfect way to render lard (via Amanda).
*A candid discussion about chicken ethics from my friend Beth.
*Georgia-grown olive oil!
*Jessie and Melanie's cellar is a beauty.
*These natural pigments are so, so lovely.
*Nettle pasta!
*Locals, these tree seedlings are SO affordable!
*A cake with both rosewater AND cardamom? I'm in (via Persephone).
*Red & pink cocktails, for the approaching jour l'amour (The Volstead is calling to me). 

We're off to a bonfire/potluck tonight! The temperature is plunging this weekend, so gathering around a warming fire sounds just right. 

Wherever you go this weekend, whatever you do, and whomever you do it with, may it be grand!



8 comments:

cassie said...

thank you so much for sharing these links! that cellar has me mentally rearranging our basement. so gorgeous! and i'll be trying out that nettle pasta, although i might do spinach pasta first...

Unknown said...

Thank you for the awesome links. I just rendered lard last week. We have a local farmer here who sells his pork at he market along with all the organs and fat. So I bought all I could and rendered it.

I've heard of nettle tea but never pasta. Have a great time at your potluck!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the photo of Huxley and the cats!

Milkweed said...

Thanks for the mention...and for all you do! See you soon in goatland....

Melanie said...

ohhh thanks for the list! I love the idea of cardamon and rosewater cake. It's now on my list of things to make - together with nettle pasta.
Any french holiday plans yet?

greyson said...

Gotta love the pillow pet and the takeover! We have more than I would like to share of pillow pets and anytime they are out the child doesn't get much choice. Unless, of course, she chooses snuggling!
Hope you are well girl!

Dixie said...

Thank you for sharing Maria's story with us. That was amazing!

Delia minijuegos said...

that cute cats .. beautiful .. by God .. What you feed them? are huge, I love cats .. haha .. I loved the photo ..
regards